Environmental toxins, allergens and mold exposure


Immune reactions to indoor allergens, pollutants and mold can cause many different symptoms and aggravate existent medical conditions such as Autism, migraine, autoimmune diseases, dementia and any other disease caused by abnormal immune system.

Here are the most common symptoms that develop as a result of indoor exposure:

Headache

Fatigue and malaise

Problems with concentration, sleep, dizziness

Frequent cold (every couple of weeks)

Wheezing

Rash

Watery eyes, redness of the eyes

Runny nose, congestion

Itchy eyes, itchy throat

Coughing, tight chest

Clearing of the throat (postnasal drip)

You should be very suspicious of existing problems with the house if:

  • Most symptoms occur while at home
  • Most  household members are also sick
  • Symptoms occur mostly in certain area of the house
  • There is a history of water leaks, problems with moisture
  • There is history of recent construction or remodel
  • There were pets in the house, and you have a history of allergies
  • You recently moved and did not have current health problems before

dublinmold

This is a file from the Wikimedia Commons.

MOLD

Molds are considered to be microbes, they are tiny organisms that grow in   chains or buds, and  usually  form colonies.  They are very abandon in nature. Molds cause biodegradation of natural materials, which can be unwanted when it becomes food spoilage or damage to property. Some diseases of animals and humans can be caused by certain molds: disease may result from allergic sensitivity to mold spores, from growth of pathogenic molds within the body, or from the effects of ingested or inhaled toxic compounds (mycotoxins) produced by molds.

In small amounts, mold spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow. When mold is growing on a surface, spores can be released into the air where they can be easily inhaled. If you’re sensitive to mold and inhale a large number of spores, you could experience health problems.

Mold is detectable by smell and signs of water damage on walls or ceiling, and can grow in places invisible to the human eye. It may be found behind wallpaper or paneling, on the inside of ceiling tiles, the back of drywall, or the underside of carpets or carpet padding. Piping in walls may also be a source of mold, since they may leak (causing moisture and condensation).[8]

Spores need three things to grow into mold:

  • Nutrients: Cellulose (the cell wall of green plants) is a common food for indoor spores.
  • Moisture: To begin the decaying process caused by mold
  • Time: Mold growth begins from 24 hours to 10 days after the provision of growing conditions.

What to do?

  • Do quick check of the house. EPA published an excellent guide to mold evaluation indoors
  • https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-08/documents/moldguide.pdf
  • Schedule appointment with a doctor who knows about indoor allergies and toxic exposure – you should get tested to see if your exposure is indeed related to your symptoms. Dr Kushnir has been evaluating and treating patients with various conditions due to mold exposure for over a decade.
  • You might need a house inspection done by professional. Your doctor will give you information on various options for testing and also can recommend a reputable company
  • In some situations you will need an attorney to protect your rights or to help remediate any damages to you or your property

Is Hidden Mold at Home Making You Sick?

newspaper templates - theme rewards